search
for
 About Bioline  All Journals  Testimonials  Membership  News  Donations


International Journal of Reproductive BioMedicine
Research and Clinical Center for Infertility, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences of Yazd
ISSN: 1680-6433
EISSN: 2008-2177
Vol. 15, No. 11, 2017, pp. 697-702
Bioline Code: rm17081
Full paper language: English
Document type: Research Article
Document available free of charge

International Journal of Reproductive BioMedicine, Vol. 15, No. 11, 2017, pp. 697-702

 en Triage by cervical length sonographic measurements for targeted therapy in threatened preterm labor: A double blind randomized clinical trial
Vafaei, Homeira; Rahimirad, Neda; Hosseini, Seyedeh Marjan; Kasraeian, Maryam; Asadi, Nasrin; Shahraki, Hadi Raeisi & Bazrafshan, Khadijeh

Abstract

Background: Preterm labor and birth are associated with several neonatal complications including respiratory distress syndrome and intraventricular hemorrhage. Differentiating true and false labor pain is a dilemma to obstetricians.
Objective: To elucidate the role of cervical length measurement in prediction of birth in pregnant women with threatened preterm labor.
Materials and Methods: In this double blind randomized clinical trial, 120 women with gestational age <34 wk who presented painful uterine contractions randomly assigned to undergo measurement of cervical length. Patients were registered in the hospital and a unit number was given. Based on the unit numbers, patients were randomly assigned to two groups using a computerized random digit generator. All participants were managed accordingly (n=65) or to receive tocolysis as planned (n=55). Tocolysis was prescribed when cervical length was <15 mm while those with cervical length ≥15 mm were managed expectantly. Delivery within 7 days of the presentation was the primary outcome.
Results: This RCT showed in case group, 78.9% of patient with cervical length <15 mm were delivered within 7 days and only 21.1% of them maintained their pregnancy. Of those with cervical length ≥15 mm, only 15.2% were delivered within the study period and the rest (84.8%) maintained their pregnancy (p<0.001).
Conclusion: “Our results indicate that in women who presented preterm labor symptoms, cervical length measurement will result in decreased unnecessary tocolytic treatment. Women with cervical length ≥15mm should not receive tocolysis, however, withholding corticosteroid therapy in these patients needs further evidence.

Keywords
Cervical length; Preterm labor; Tocolysis; Ultrasonography.

 
© Copyright 2017 - International Journal of Reproductive BioMedicine
Alternative site location: http://www.ijrm.ir

Home Faq Resources Email Bioline
© Bioline International, 1989 - 2020, Site last up-dated on 29-Jan-2020.
Site created and maintained by the Reference Center on Environmental Information, CRIA, Brazil
System hosted by the Internet Data Center of Rede Nacional de Ensino e Pesquisa, RNP, Brazil