International Journal of Reproductive BioMedicine
Research and Clinical Center for Infertility, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences of Yazd
Vol. 10, No. 5, 2012, pp. 489-492
Bioline Code: rm12070
Full paper language: English
Document type: Short Communication
Document available free of charge
International Journal of Reproductive BioMedicine, Vol. 10, No. 5, 2012, pp. 489-492
© Copyright 2012 - Iranian Journal of Reproductive Medicine
Pregnancy outcomes in women with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura|
Yassaee, Fakhrolmolouk; Eskandari, Roghieh & Amiri, Zohreh
Background: Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) is a disease that commonly affects women of reproductive age and is associated with maternal and fetal complications.
Objective: The aim of the present study was to report the perinatal outcome in pregnant women with ITP.
Materials and Methods: Twenty one pregnant women with ITP admitted in a teaching hospital in Tehran, from October 2008 to February 2010, were enrolled in this prospective historical cohort study; course and perinatal outcome of pregnancies were studied.
Results: Seven (33.3%) cases had been diagnosed before pregnancy, while the other fourteen (66.7%) were diagnosed during pregnancy. During hospitalization, thirteen (62%) patients required treatment, eight (61.5%) of them with steroids, two (15.3%) received intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG), and three (23%) were treated with steroids and IVIG. Three babies were delivered vaginally (14.3%), seventeen (81%) through cesarean section and one patient aborted her fetus. Nine mothers (42.9%) had platelet counts <50000/ml at the time of delivery; but postpartum hemorrhage occurred in 4 (19%) women and one women received platelet transfusion during cesarean section. Six (28.6%) women developed gestational diabetes. Pregnancy was complicated by preeclampsia in one woman and by abruptio placenta in another. One pregnancy terminated in intrauterine fetal death. Seventeen infants (89.5%) had normal platelet counts, and two (10.5%) had moderate thrombocytopenia. No infant showed signs of hemorrhage, but 2 neonates (10.5%) were diagnosed with intrauterine growth restriction.
Conclusion: Rate of gestational diabetes in pregnant women with ITP is higher than the general population. Rate of gestinational diabetes is 3-5% and postpartum hemorrhage is 5-7% in general. Postpartum hemorrhage is common in these women. Severe thrombocytopenia and bleeding in the newborns are uncommon.
Pregnancy outcomes, Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, Neonatal outcome.
Alternative site location: http://www.ijrm.ir